In version 1806 Microsoft introduced and acknowledged a bug in Word which prevents the proper formatting of Word 2.0 documents. This causes trouble for submittals run from the Estimating and Detailing module of Comsense Enterprise.
Note: As of Microsoft Word version 1906, Microsoft has corrected this issue.
Microsoft provides a mechanism for users to put their Microsoft Office 365 version back to 1803 and keep it there while they work on fixing the bug.
The first step is to ensure that your Office 365 update channel is Semi-annual. This is the recommended update channel for customers using Office together with their line-of-business applications like Comsense Enterprise. See the article How to Determine and Change Your Office 365 Update Channel for instructions to set your Update Channel to Semi-annual.
Once your Update Channel is set to Semi-annual you can take the following steps to install the 1803 version of Office 365.
- Close any Office applications you have running including Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt by clicking the Windows Start button.
- Type Command to search for the Command Prompt application.
- Right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
- Click Yes when prompted to allow the application to run as Administrator.
- At the Command Prompt type or copy this command:
cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun
- Press Enter.
- Then type or copy this command:
officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.9126.2428
- Press Enter.
- Please do this only once. The process will work in the background and may not present progress visually.
- This will launch the Office Installer application, which will replace your Office 365 version with 1803 Build 16.0.9126.2428. In our experience, this will sometimes present a small user interface to indicate its working, but sometimes it works in the background and completes on its own. Once it's complete your Office 365 will be at version 1803.
You can use Task Manager to see if the installer is still working. Look for a process called OfficeC2RClient.exe. Once there is only one copy of the process visible the process is complete.
- To keep your version at 1803 but still receive security updates. Open Microsoft Word.
- Create a Blank Document if prompted.
- Click File > Account.
- Click Update Options.
- Click Disable Updates.
- Click Yes to let the system make changes.
- Click the left arrow at the top left of Word to get back to the document window.
- You're all set.